Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lentil Pottage

Hi Dears,
So I've just brought You another Hungarian main course instead of a dessert as I would. 
Actually, I don't cook every day, but I love it as well as baking, just usually I don't need to cook. (I get lunch in the canteen at work, or my mom's or my boyfriend's mom cooks lunches in the weekends) But still, I learnt cooking for about 1,5 years in College, and whenever I have time, and have an empty-of-mothers kitchen I can cook. :)
And this one is a pottage, which is a side dish here.
 (And not a soup :) ) It's much more thicker, You should try. 
In the traditional restaurants they use thickening (with oil and flour) , in the modern ones they skip it, and they mix half of it with a blender to get it more thicker. But me, I prefer the thickening with milk + flour, You will see. 

Ingredients:
  • 500 g= 2 cups of lentil
  • 3 l= 6 pints of water
  • ----
  • 2,5 tsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of regular soup spice (it contains cumin, oregano, red paprika, powdered celery, and other dried and powdered vegetables)
  • some sausages (whichever You like)
  • 1 pepper
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tsp of red paprika
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tsp of sugar
  • ----
  • 2 dl= 4/5 cup of milk
  • 4 tbsp of flour 

Preparation:
1. Put the 2 cup of lentil to a bowl, and add water to it, it should cover the lentil, the previous night.

2. Boil water in a big pot, and add the lentil to it.
3. Then You can add the spices, and the vegetables, the lemon juice and the sugar as well. 
4. Slice up the sausages and You can fry them in a little oil, or You can just cook it in the pot as well.

5. Slice the clove of garlic to the pot.
6. Cook it till the lentil becomes softer. 

7. Then You should mix 4/5 cup of milk with 4 tbsp of flour. Add a little soup to it from the pot, mix it, and add the whole thickening to the pot, while you stir it. 


It should be really thick.  

It's a side dish, we usually make some meat balls or sausages to it.
Enjoy! :) 

xoxo: Hajni

No comments :

Post a Comment