Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hortobágyi pancake


Hello! 
I hope You are having a fabulous weekend. :) So did I.
Let me suggest a good reading activity:
 I've recently started the new Bridget Jones...
*spoiler alert* 
But not actually, as it was all written in the reviews that she became a widow.. Which I didn't like at all, but the book is hilarious, and as we should expect: funny. :) 
The other thing I did,  was looking for jobs, as You might have seen it on twitter, where I started the #100happydays challenge. Well, nearly, I couldn't post every day, but I'm trying. :) 
I posted about this deliciousness as well, I cooked it for my love for Valentine's
It was super tasty, as it regularly is. It's one of my specialities. Besides, it's one of the most well known dish of Hungary
You should definitely try it! 
Ingredients:

for the pancakes:
 (to find measured ingredients for it, click here)
  • 1 egg
  • flour + milk + bubbly mineral water 
  • a pinch of salt
-----
for the filling:
  • 0,5 kg of minced meat (pork or chicken) or cut the meat to little pieces
  • 1 big onion
  • a little oil
  • 2 tbsp of paprika (the red Hungarian powdered paprika spice)
  • 1 tsp of powdered black pepper
  • 1 tsp of powdered cumin
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1 tbsp of green spices (like basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of sour cream/crème fraîche 
  • 4 tbsp of flour
----
+ additional sour cream/crème fraîche for the decoration and serving



Preparation:
1. You should bake some pancakes. 
(I don't measure the ingredients of it, You know You can see what the pastry needs. "A little bit more flour, now just a cup of milk" or "it's not bubbly enough". The most important thing, that the batter should flow nicely down from the spoon, and it should create a coat on it as well. But, if You need exact amounts of the ingredients CLICK HERE. :) )


2. Slice the onion to little pieces. Fry them in a little oil in a big frying pan.

3. Then add the minced or cubed meat. 

4. Add all the spices and the salt, and fry and stir them, till the meat becomes white. 

5. Then pour 2 cups of water on it. 

6. Mix the sour cream with the flour, so that You make a sour cream-based thickening. Then add a bit of the meaty water to it, and mix them.

7. Then You should pour it in the pan with the meat, and the gravy becomes orange.

8. Cook it for about 10 minutes more.

9. Place 2 tablespoons of meat & gravy to a pancake. 

10. Then fold the sides of the pancake, like in the picture.

11. Then turn the little pancake package up-side down, and place it in a tray.

12. With the rest of the gravy You can decorate the top of the pancakes, and You can put an extra sour cream as well on them.

If You have it as an entrée, You should serve 1-2 pancakes on a plate.
If it's the main course, then the proper portion should be 4 pancakes. 

I hope You will try it. This is my favourite dish of all! :) 
Happy Sunday!
xo: Hajni




No comments :

Post a Comment